1. This is Ola Wolan (on the left). She just won Prom King at Lane Tech High School in Chicago.
2. Ola told the Windy City Times:
Honestly, I don’t fit the gender stereotypes of a girl and I’m not trans[gender]; I know who I am and wouldn’t feel comfortable winning ‘Queen’ and then having to dance with a boy.
4. She got an incredibly positive response.
… it probably was one of the most surreal moments of my life when everyone started chanting my name. Never in a million years would I have expected that, hearing so much love toward me for who I am and being open [about my sexuality].
5. Ola shared her winning dance with her girlfriend, Amber Lynn Phillips.
All together now: “Awwwwww!”
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.