1. This is Ola Wolan (on the left). She just won Prom King at Lane Tech High School in Chicago.
2. Ola told the Windy City Times:
Honestly, I don’t fit the gender stereotypes of a girl and I’m not trans[gender]; I know who I am and wouldn’t feel comfortable winning ‘Queen’ and then having to dance with a boy.
4. She got an incredibly positive response.
… it probably was one of the most surreal moments of my life when everyone started chanting my name. Never in a million years would I have expected that, hearing so much love toward me for who I am and being open [about my sexuality].
5. Ola shared her winning dance with her girlfriend, Amber Lynn Phillips.
All together now: “Awwwwww!”
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.