1. We all know singer Janelle Monáe has a thing for androids.
Janelle Monáe writes her albums about them, partially for political reasons. She said in an interview that she chose an android as her topic because it represents “‘the other’ in our society […] The android represents the new other to me.”
2. In fact, she writes what she knows. She is part android:
Yes I am African-American, yes I am part android and all these different things, but at the end of the day love is universal and music is universal.
3. And she’s a religions one. She also said “I attend an android community church in Metropolis.”
It probably looks like this.
4. What’s more — much to the chagrin of the queer community that loves her — she has unexpected dating requirements.
6. On why, she’s simply said, “Nothing like an android, they don’t cheat on you.”
7. Her “love for androids” may be an attempt to avoid labels on her sexuality.
She’s stated, “I don’t believe in categories. I respect people for who they are, and I’m attracted to that more than anything.” She also wonders how we will treat androids in the future, whether we will shun them or use them, and that is what her albums have been written about.
8. But in a recent interview with Vibe Vixen, Monáe talked a little bit more about her preferences.
She said, “An android is my preference. Two androids and a cyborg.”