1. Until 10 years ago, there were still laws in some states that made consensual gay sexual contact explicitly illegal.
In 1998, two men named John Lawrence and Tyron Garner were arrested in Texas for having sex. The officers came to Lawrence’s home after receiving a false report that they had a weapon. The police did not search the home, but simply arrested them for homosexual conduct.
4. Today, ten years later, the Supreme Court struck down DOMA across the country.
Read more about the anti-sodomy laws at Lambda Legal.
- The Republican candidates for president will debate Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on CBS for the first time after Donald Trump's runaway win in the New Hampshire primaries.
- Up to 150,000 penguins may have been killed by an iceberg blocking their access to the sea.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.