This cross between a doughnut and a croissant, invented by the Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York City, has people lined up around the block day after day. (PS: the BuzzFeed L.A. office is dying for some!)
3. The Invisible Bike Helmet
How is it invisible?! (I know…) I don’t want to ruin the surprise, so watch the video. If you want to buy one, they currently ship to countries in the EU.
4. The Royal Baby
This bundle of joy came into the world on July 22.
5. The iPad Air
Now your bag can be even lighter. Pretty soon, we won’t feel anything we carry.
It’s been nearly a year since the world became obsessed with this six-second video app.
Well, the Affordable Health Care Act is heading into its first year of operation, and enrollment opened in October 2013. This changed your life if you didn’t have health care before. It also changed your life because you spent way too much time dealing with this nonfunctional website.
8. Netflix Original Programming
Netflix’s official launch of its original programming came with this year’s House of Cards, followed by Arrested Development and Orange Is the New Black. And thank goodness for all that.
9. 3D printed guns
Here’s a video of (supposedly) the world’s first gun produced via 3D printing, in action. People are still scared about what this means for gun control.
10. The Pebble
This much-hyped Kickstarter project finally put out its product this year, much to the delight of tech enthusiasts. It’s a “smartwatch” that lets you answer calls, gives you notifications (like texts, so you don’t have to look at your phone, which just takes wayyyyy too long), and also supports certain apps.
12. In 2013, same-sex marriage became legal in Rhode Island, Delaware, Minnesota, Hawaii, and Illinois.
(In, Illinois the same-sex marriage law will go into effect on June 1, 2014.)
14. North West, Kim and Kanye’s Kid
This undeniably cute one was born on June 15 of this year. And you know that you’ll be paying attention to this kid for years and years to come.
15. The iPhone 5c
Are you excited? It’s like the iPhone but waaaayyyy cheaper?
16. Grand Theft Auto V
It made $1 billion within the first three days of its release. So this is a pretty big deal.
18. The “Harlem Shake” Phenomenon
This meme took over everyone’s lives for a time.
20. Lil Bub’s web series, Lil Bub’s Big Show
2013 gave us MORE Lil Bub, and thank goodness because I could watch her adorable web series forever.
21. The discovery that Earth-like “habitable zone” planets are way more common than we ever imagined.
This has been a fruitful year in the way of discoveries in the cosmos, many of which are exciting because they live in “habitable zones” — systems where water or life could potentially exist. Click here for a mind-boggling graphic from The New York Times on all of Kepler’s discovered planets. Maybe there’s life out there yet…
- Dylann Roof has been formally charged with nine counts of murder for the Charleston church shooting last month.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- Harry Shearer, the voice of Mr. Burns on "The Simpsons," will rejoin the show. In May, he said he was leaving.