1. A modern bunch of 1957 debutantes. The tradition began as a way for high society families to debut their daughters who reached a marriageable age.
2. 1925: Part of becoming a debutante means being schooled in manners and social graces. The proper curtsey was of utmost importance.
3. These 1927 ladies are also getting their curtsy on.
4. Sheesh. Apparently the curtsy stuff is no easy business.
5. Debs in 1930, on their way to make their big entrance.
6. At a 1940 ball for the Republican party, debs consort with an elephant.
7. In 1925, debutantes get a lesson in the extremely difficult task of picking up a handkerchief.
8. This 1924 high society lady — decked out in classic ’20s couture — is on her way to be presented at Buckingham Palace.
9. American debutantes get ready for a presentation at Buckingham Palace. That girl on the far left is not feeling it.
10. A large, delicious cake and its class of 1932 debs.
11. Debutante casualwear circa 1958.
12. A group of white-frocked debs come out at the Queen Charlotte Ball in London, 1946.
13. Satin and pearls were popular choices in 1931.
14. How cool? A class of Japanese debutantes in 1958.
- The CIA has officially—but very quietly—admitted that some allegations about its torture program were true.
- The U.S. government is suing Ferguson, Missouri, after the city tried to change a negotiated police reform settlement.
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has dropped out of the 2016 Republican presidential race after poor results in New Hampshire 🇺🇸