1. “Kate & Leopold” (2001)
Meg Ryan plays a modern, career-oriented woman when she falls for Hugh Jackman, a time traveler in from 1876. Her Palm Pilot was her life.
Someone give this betch her Palm Pilot.
UGH. The thingy.
2. “Clueless” (1995)
Once upon a time, way back in the year of ‘95, a pager was a status symbol. (However, isn’t it kind of unclear why Cher needs a beeper if she also has a cell phone?)
3. “Little Black Book” (2004)
Brittany Murphy goes through her boyfriend’s Palm Pilot — the Palm Tungsten C, to be precise — to uncover his past relationships. Ahh, 2003: the age when people called PDAs “little black books.” So quaint.
4. “Sixteen Candles” (1984)
Car phones! Remember when it was such a big deal to have one?
5. “He’s Just Not That Into You” (2009)
Oh, girl. I think this was bad, even in 2009.
6. “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” (1986)
Whoopi transfers funds for a big bank in this ’80s classic. What even is that thing she works on? She comes into contact with an anonymous source, and they type back and forth on a black screen. “Instant messaging,” if you will.
Funny bonus: Ever notice in movies featuring computers how loud and clunky the keys are?
7. “The Net” (1995)
Sandra Bullock is a computer analyst who comes across some government secrets. While this movie is hilarious for its bulky computers and ’90s graphics, it’s more the unrealistic details that make it even funnier. Was anyone really ordering a pizza online in 1995? From pizza.net, no less? And of course, when you locate someone’s IP address, their picture pops up too.
8. “WarGames” (1983)
Matthew Broderick uses an IMSAI 8080 microcomputer in this hacker disaster movie. “Microcomputer.” Ha.
9. “Romy & Michele’s High School Reunion” (1997)
People were so excited about flip phones. And they really liked saying the words “flip phone.”
- The first group of what is expected to be several thousand refugees arrived in Germany after a delayed journey through Hungary and Austria. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›