1. L.A. could have been a lot shorter.
Up until 1957, the city enforced a strict height limit on buildings — they couldn’t be taller than 13 stories.
(Above: Hollywood in 1925.)
2. There could have been a highway-beach.
This plan proposed building a man-made beach off the Santa Monica coast with a highway.
3. Dodgers Stadium could have been a lake.
In 1958, Assemblyman Don Anderson countered the Dodgers Stadium proposal with this idea — a public lake, which he said “would give people needed recreational facilities and help beautify downtown section.”
4. Los Feliz, Silver Lake, and Echo Park could have been the movie studio hub.
In the 1910s, these east side neighborhoods were known together as Edendale, and this was the first home to Keystone Films and several major movie companies. Now it’s home to hipsters and rich people.
5. There could have been a bicycle superhighway.
This 1897 project only had a first stretch of it built before the project failed — it was intended to provide a bike pathway between Pasadena and Downtown.
6. There could have been a crazy mansion above the Hollywood sign.
Mack Sennett, the founder of Keystone Studios, had plans to construct a palatial home in the Hills, above the Hollywood sign. Unfortunately, the stock market crash of 1929 wiped Sennett out, so it never got built. The space now hosts a communications tower and park station.
7. You could have gotten to LAX via flying busses.
Okay, so this one is kind of a stretch, but in the 1960s, there was actually a proposal to create helicopter-like busses that would take passengers from Downtown to LAX…all in nine minutes, supposedly. Clearly, this never happened. But kind of makes you wish it did!
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›
- Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›
- Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›