The Boston Marathon is over a century old — the first race was held in 1897 — and is cited as being the “world’s oldest annual marathon.” Here’s a look at what the marathon looked like in black and white — during the ’30s through the ’60s.
1. Onlookers watch participants of the 1930 marathon.
2. In 1946, Stylianos Kyriakides of Greece took the winning title.
3. Stylianos Kyriakides tackles Heartbreak Hill in Newton. This is said to be the most difficult part of the race. The incline isn’t so steep, but as the last stretch of the run — at 20.5 miles — it can be a killer.
4. Here, two South Korean men train for the Boston Marathon in 1947. South Korea won the marathon that year when Suh Yun-bok crossed the finish line with a world record-beating time.
5. The 1956 winner — Antti Viskari of Finland — crosses the finish line.
6. Tommy Leonard, another participant in the 1956 marathon, dashes through the streets of Boston.
7. Antti Viskari receives the winner’s laurels.
8. Another action shot of 1956 winner Antti Viskari.
9. 1959 runners in Natick Square.
10. Here’s marathon legend John Kelley participating in the 1962 marathon. Although he didn’t win that year, he won in 1935 and 1945 and also set a record for completing a total of 61 Boston marathons.
11. A crowd of runners crossing the starting line in 1963.
12. The winner of the 1963 Boston Marathon, Aurele Vanderdriessche, crosses the finish line (the Belgian man won the following year as well).
13. Runners of the 1965 marathon.
14. Roberta (“Bobbi”) Gibb, the first woman to run the marathon, crossing the finish line in 1966. At that time, women weren’t allowed to participate in the marathon and when Roberta’s application was denied, she snuck in and ran anyway and was recogn
15. Here’s Bobbi Gibb again, running the marathon in 1967. She’d take the winning title in the Women’s Open this year and in 1968. (She was recognized as the winner of this title by the Boston Athletic Association even though women were still not
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.
- The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland was disciplined for "unprofessional conduct" in the fall of 2014, records show.