1. Pretend you’re a Viking on the boat out to the island.
Vikings had ferries, right?
2. Feel mystical at the fairy glen.
There’s fairies in them there hills.
3. Swim in the fairy pools.
Little lagoons of natural wonder speckled down the Cuillin mountains. Cold, but worth it.
4. Clamber over old-as-dinosaurs rocks at Staffin Bay.
5. And if the tide’s out at Staffin you can see dinosaur footprints.
ACTUAL IRL DINOSAUR FOOTPRINTS!!! Fossilised in the rock.
6. Take a jungle walk around Portree.
Head up the hill behind the hospital and you’ll find Skye is more Jurassic than you thought it was.
7. Marvel at The Old Man of Storr.
The most Lord of the Rings thing on the island - both in name and view.
8. Watch whiskey-making in action at the Talisker Distillery.
Make sure you have a wee dram or two.
9. Be the only person on the beach at Talisker bay.
You’ll be blown away if the sun comes out on this volcanic sand beach too.
10. Fill up on seafood and whiskey at The Old Inn in Carbost.
Just over the road from the Talisker distillery you can continue to sample their wares at The Old Inn, where you can also get a plate full of locally caught seafood.
11. Watch wild dolphins swim in Portree Harbour.
Take a boat trip at the harbour and you might just see wild eagles too.
12. Cook a catch of the day from The Oyster Shed.
Lobsters and langoustines for less than a tenner, and of course, fresh oysters galore.
13. Visit Dunvegan Castle.
Because what’s a Scottish holiday without a trip to a castle?
14. Eat all of the seafood at Seabreezes.
If it swims nearby, Sea Breezes is serving it (not the Dolphins, mind), and you won’t get better for a fancy dinner out.
15. Look out to the end of the earth from the ruins of Duntulm castle.
Legend has it an heir to an ancient throne was dropped onto the rocks from this very window.
16. Drive along the spectacular Quiraing Mountain Pass.
Pale underwear not recommended.
17. Be mesmerised by the waterfall over Kilt Rock.
The UK’s very own Niagara.
18. Witness incredible close-to-midnight sunsets.
Skye is light for almost 24 hours during the summer and seeing a sunset after bedtime will spin you right out.
- Dylann Roof has been formally charged with nine counts of murder for the Charleston church shooting last month.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- Harry Shearer, the voice of Mr. Burns on "The Simpsons," will rejoin the show. In May, he said he was leaving.