2. At family get-togethers, it’s extremely rare if you are able to talk to every member of the family.
In fact, it’s probably impossible. There’s only so much time.
3. You can hardly keep track of everyone’s ages and you’re truly shocked when you find out your youngest cousin isn’t 8 years old anymore.
When did you grow up?
4. It’s absolutely too much to ask for everyone to get Christmas or birthday gifts so you have developed a system.
Whose name will I draw this year?
5. Trying to take a family picture is a chore.
WHO ARE WE MISSING?
6. When you are with your family, you will have zero alone time.
There is always someone near.
7. Bringing an S.O. to meet your extended family is a SERIOUS milestone in your relationship.
They will be questioned and tested endlessly.
8. You inherit the reputation of your older cousins, whether it’s good or bad.
Another Parker… yep, that’s me.
9. You talk loudly without meaning to.
You have learned that you have to speak up if you want anyone to pay attention to you.
10. People are always asking you if your family is Catholic.
If you say yes, they’re like, “That makes sense.” If you say no they’re like, “Wait, what?!”
11. Your grandparents are your freaking heroes.
Seven-plus kids and now grandkids, are you serious?!
12. You eat insanely fast.
Because otherwise you would literally never get seconds.
13. Half your wardrobe consists of hand-me-downs from your family.
OK…maybe more than half.
14. Making a holiday meal takes a very serious plan of who will bring what.
Thanksgiving usually requires more than one turkey.
15. During family get togethers, there were usually multiple kids and adult tables in order to accommodate everyone.
And you sat at the kids’ table well past your 18th birthday.
16. You are accustomed to being called one of your cousins’ names at every get-together.
There’s just so many of us.
17. Everyone is given a list with everyone’s contacts and birthdays to make it easier.
Otherwise we would never be able to keep track.
18. There is ALWAYS a waiting line for the bathroom.
Plan your drinking accordingly.
19. You were or are always making bets to who would marry/have a child first.
And you were usually never correct.
20. Trying to travel anywhere together requires multiple cars and lap sitting
But hey, that’s how memories are made.
21. You have to call seat saves before you vacate knowing it will be immediately stolen otherwise.
And it probably will still be stolen, tbh.
22. Sleepovers meant sleeping all over floors because there certainly weren’t enough beds.
Or pillows…or blankets…
23. Saying good-bye at the end of a get-together takes a solid hour.
And you still ask yourself, “Did I miss anyone?!”
24. Listening to stories from the past NEVER gets old.
No matter how many times you hear the stories, your family history amazes you each time.
25. And as you get older and some move away, you have umpteen places to visit.
Traveling the world, one cousin at a time.
26. And at the end of the day, you are one large group of friends.
You can’t choose your family, but if you could you would still choose them.