This is funny for a few reasons:
1. An NBA team has lent its logo to a shirt based on one of the more vulgar songs in the ’90s hip-hop canon — I won’t get too deep into the lyrics, but click through to that YouTube page if you’re curious. (Or just listen to the song! You have ears!)
2. That song name has been hovering around American culture as a grade-school prank for a couple of decades now; Urban Dictionary says, “catching people with ‘deez nutz’ has become America’s 3,157th favorite pastime, just behind underwater basket-weaving and just ahead of collecting Spongebob Squarepants paraphernalia.”
The game works as following: you ask someone a question, and if the response is “What?”, “Who?”, “Huh?” or anything starting starting with one of the 5 “W’s”, you’re free to get that person with “DEEEEEZ NUUUUUTZ!!!”. Works best when done loudly in quiet public places such as a lecture hall, church, or a line at the bank.
3. Brooklyn and L.A. have historically had a little bit of a rivalry. Dr. Dre is from L.A.; the Nets are from Brooklyn.
4. Dr. Dre is now mostly known for selling headphones, which basically every player in the NBA can be seen wearing in those weird pregame segments where cameras follow them as they walk through the arena.
5. Dr. Dre wears Adidas track-suits pretty frequently, and though I can’t find anything on him having an official partnership with Adidas, I’m willing to suggest that he might’ve signed off on this shirt.
6. Sports Authority’s description of the shirt is as follows: “You’ll love the tongue-in-cheek humor of this adidas® Brooklyn Nets Deez Nets t-shirt!”
PUT ON DEEZ NETS.
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)