Follow these easy steps:
1. TAKE DEEP BREATHS.
2. Go to baseball-reference.com.
3. Set baseball-reference.com as your homepage until the end of your draft.
4. Buy a graphing calculator. (If you already have a graphing calculator, buy another one. Name it “Wonder Boy.”)
5. Use the calculator to create some arbitrary metric for players by combining a bunch of random stats — for instance: on base %, triples, and bases on balls. Apply it to ever player in the majors, and as many in Triple A ball as you can.
6. Never, ever look at this graph again.
7. Eat a salad with guacamole.
8. Print out a picture of Bill James, paste it onto a music stand, and surround it with a ring of candles. If it’s convenient — read: if you live in New York — have the word “SABERMETRICS” tattooed down your left forearm.
9. Hold a seance. Tell Ty Cobb about fantasy baseball. Let him swear and berate you for as long as you can stand.
11. Wake up half an hour before the draft. If there’s more than two days between your seance and your draft, you may wake up ONCE, but only to eat peanuts and crackerjack.
12. When you wake up, you’ll know what to do.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›