Earlier today, the Miami Heat visited the White House for the customary “NBA champions meet the President” Basketballers-President meeting. Early on, President Obama joked about how going up against him prepared guys like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade to face Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. He also showed off his basketball knowledge by mentioning how Wade worked on his core and James his post moves prior to the season, and that the acquisition of Shane Battier played a big role in the Heat reaching the next level.
The best parts, though, came when Obama ragged on the players: he told Mike Miller he “looked broken down last year… like an old man,” and he called Juwan Howard “grandpa.” And when LeBron took the podium, we reached peak Obama.
3. LeBron seemed a bit nervous at first, but after a little gentle harassment from the president —
4. — he gave a nice little speech about how far they’d come. “We just want to thank you for the hospitality, for allowing us to be in the White House. I mean, we in the White House!”
6. And then, as he awarded Obama his honorary Heat jersey, Wade teased Obama about an open spot on the team.
7. The President’s response: “You guys need a shooter?”
8. Here’s video of LeBron and Wade with the President.
- At least one member of Ukraine's National Guard has died and about 90 people were injured after protesters clashed with police outside of Parliament in Ukraine. ›
- Lawyers for the NFL and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady failed to reach a settlement in the deflategate case. A decision is expected by Friday. ›
- Thai police have issued two new arrest warrants as the search widens for the suspects behind Bangkok's deadly shrine bombing. ›