Earlier today, the Miami Heat visited the White House for the customary “NBA champions meet the President” Basketballers-President meeting. Early on, President Obama joked about how going up against him prepared guys like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade to face Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. He also showed off his basketball knowledge by mentioning how Wade worked on his core and James his post moves prior to the season, and that the acquisition of Shane Battier played a big role in the Heat reaching the next level.
The best parts, though, came when Obama ragged on the players: he told Mike Miller he “looked broken down last year… like an old man,” and he called Juwan Howard “grandpa.” And when LeBron took the podium, we reached peak Obama.
3. LeBron seemed a bit nervous at first, but after a little gentle harassment from the president —
4. — he gave a nice little speech about how far they’d come. “We just want to thank you for the hospitality, for allowing us to be in the White House. I mean, we in the White House!”
6. And then, as he awarded Obama his honorary Heat jersey, Wade teased Obama about an open spot on the team.
7. The President’s response: “You guys need a shooter?”
8. Here’s video of LeBron and Wade with the President.
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›