Enjoy this picture, because it’s the last you’ll see of Tim Tebow as a member of the New York Jets.
Mel Evans / AP
The Jets cut Tebow this morning; he and the team have already unfollowed each other on Twitter, so you know it’s a real break-up. But this means it’s time to look back on what was a truly disastrous season for Tebow. Here are the 11 lowlights of his sad tenure as a Jet.
1. The Jets trade for Tebow, and he says the word “excited” 44 times in his first press conference.
Or, more than once for every two offensive snaps he would play during the season.
2. Tebow has a terrible preseason and foreshadows the media circus his year will be when a shirtless run in the rain at training camp becomes a national story.
3. During the first month of the season, after failing to win the starting job away from Mark Sanchez, Tebow lines up as a wide receiver and Sanchez throws the ball into his head.
4. A fan (or teammate) sends Tebow a “You’re Special” balloon. The New York Post’s Bart Hubbuch sees it and tweets it.
5. Tebow begins playing punt protection because the Jets can’t find a place on offense for him. He botches a fake punt.
6. Tebow gets a full series on offense against the Titans late in the season. He fails.
7. When Mark Sanchez is benched, the Jets elect to start Greg McElroy over Tebow. Tebow stands on the sidelines with Sanchez, looking incredibly awkward.
Adam Hunger / Reuters
8. Anonymous teammates tell the press that Tebow is “terrible.”
9. ESPN readily admits that it badly handled its coverage of Tebow during the season.
10. After the season is over, Tebow plans to speak at racist and homophobic pastor Robert Jeffress’ Dallas church, then withdraws due to criticism.
11. And, most importantly: Jets coach Rex Ryan is photographed with a tattoo of his wife sexily wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey. His wife is not sexily wearing a Tim Tebow jersey.
(ANDREW THEODORAKIS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
Happy trails, Tim Tebow: whether it’s in the Canadian Football League, the Arena Football League, the NFL, or none of the above, the world will surely be watching.
In The News Today