1. The first of Joe Flacco’s three touchdowns came four and a half minutes into the first quarter, on this connection with Anquan Boldin.
2. Later in the first, Flacco hooked up with Boldin again on this beautiful scrambling throw, this time for 30 yards on 3rd and 7.
3. Early in the second quarter, 49ers running back LaMichael James fumbled the ball away, giving the Ravens the first of two turnovers.
4. And they capitalized, with Flacco getting his second touchdown on this effortless score to Dennis Pitta.
5. At this point, the Ravens were up 14-3, and things only got worse for the 49ers when Colin Kaepernick threw an interception on the very next play.
6. The Ravens would punt on that drive, but after forcing another 49ers punt, Flacco completed a bomb to Jacoby Jones that he managed to turn into seven. 21-3 Ravens.
7. Jones wasn’t done. On the first kickoff of the second half, he took it 109 yards for a touchdown — the longest kickoff return in NFL history.
Then the lights went out. Play stopped for a while, and when it started up again, the game would take a major swing.
8. The 49ers showed signs of life halfway through the third quarter, when Michael Crabtree broke a bunch of tackles to score seven.
9. Following a fantastic Ted Ginn punt return and easy Frank Gore TD, the 49ers had narrowed it to 28-20. David Akers missed this FG attempt, but the refs called what happened below running into the kicker. Akers hit his second try.
10. The Ravens would hit a field goal to make it 31-23, but Kaepernick ran the ball in from 15 yards out to give the 49ers a chance to tie. They failed on the two-point conversion, though, meaning they still trailed 31-29.
11. Baltimore hit another field goal, giving them a 34-29 lead. San Francisco drove into the red zone. And then this fourth-down attempt failed, effectively sealing the game. The Ravens became Super Bowl champions.
Here Are The Top Stories
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.