1. During today’s Elite Eight win over Duke, Louisville’s Kevin Ware sustained a broken leg and had to be taken to the emergency room at a nearby hospital.
2. Ware’s teammates paid tribute to him by wearing his jersey toward the end of the game…
3. …and then posing with it and the trophy after they won.
4. But on the Internet, someone decided it would be a good idea to create a fake Twitter in Kevin Ware’s name, and send out this tweet.
In the time since the account was created, which was around 6:31 pm EST, it has gained over 4,000 followers. This tweet in particular has been retweeted over 10,000 times. What appears to be Ware’s real Twitter account, @_Woody23, hasn’t tweeted since January 12, 2012. If you scroll through the mentions on this tweet, a number of them are well-wishers — the others are people warning that the account is fake.
5. After that first tweet, the account responded to a few statements of support for Ware, mostly be highly followed individuals, including NBA player Damien Wilkins
6. A Kobe Bryant fan account
7. Rapper Diggy Simmons
8. And the director of social media for Louisville athletics.
9. As of 8 pm EST, the account remains alive.
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›