1. During today’s Elite Eight win over Duke, Louisville’s Kevin Ware sustained a broken leg and had to be taken to the emergency room at a nearby hospital.
2. Ware’s teammates paid tribute to him by wearing his jersey toward the end of the game…
3. …and then posing with it and the trophy after they won.
4. But on the Internet, someone decided it would be a good idea to create a fake Twitter in Kevin Ware’s name, and send out this tweet.
In the time since the account was created, which was around 6:31 pm EST, it has gained over 4,000 followers. This tweet in particular has been retweeted over 10,000 times. What appears to be Ware’s real Twitter account, @_Woody23, hasn’t tweeted since January 12, 2012. If you scroll through the mentions on this tweet, a number of them are well-wishers — the others are people warning that the account is fake.
5. After that first tweet, the account responded to a few statements of support for Ware, mostly be highly followed individuals, including NBA player Damien Wilkins
6. A Kobe Bryant fan account
7. Rapper Diggy Simmons
8. And the director of social media for Louisville athletics.
9. As of 8 pm EST, the account remains alive.
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Historic flooding has killed 16 people in South Carolina, where rain finally stopped falling on Tuesday. ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›