Tim Pernetti out as Rutgers athletic director, source told @ESPN
— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN)
The move came in the wake of tremendous media and internal pressure for Pernetti, who had been athletic director since 2009, to be dismissed; over 50 faculty members signed a letter to university president Robert Barchi insisting that he lose his job. But not all of the Rutgers’ community has insisted that Pernetti go: prominent members of the athletic family, including paralyzed former football player Eric LeGrand, NFL running back Ray Rice, and former NFL lineman Shaun O’Hara, called for Pernetti retain his job.
Heading up to RU in support of Tim Pernetti to talk to some media. #KeepTimPernetti the things this man has done for me is indescribable
— Eric LeGrand (@EricLeGrand52)
Pernetti is the third official to leave Rutgers; Rice and assistant coach Jimmy Martelli, who can also be seen in the video verbally and physically abusing players, were both fired. Pernetti helped set Rutgers up to join the Big Ten during his tenure, which will be a financial boon for the school. Previously, this had been thought to possibly be enough of an achievement to help him save his job.
Eric Murdock, a former staffer who released the video of Rice, has been seeking a $950,000 settlement from the school since December 27. Murdock’s lawyers say he was fired for presenting the video. However, sources at Rutgers told USA Today that Murdock’s contract was not renewed for insubordination, and his departure was unconnected to the video.