Robert Griffin III, the Redskins’ Pro Bowl rookie quarterback, has been the NFL’s breakout star this year. But in his first playoff game, against the Seattle Seahawks, he had a very bad day.
Trying to recover a botched snap, RGIII plants his foot in FedEx Field’s awful surface and gets caught, twisting his already injured knee in a gruesome manner. Griffin had been struggling all day with the knee, and the maneuver appeared to be more than he could handle.
1. You can see how his leg twists here. As bad as it looks, RGIII did walk back on to the field for post-game handshakes, which gives hope that it might not be an ACL tear.
2. The crowd was as aghast as you’d expect.
6. Here’s video of the injury.
To make matters worse, the Redskins lost to the Seahawks after scoring the first 14 points of the game. Seattle heads to Atlanta next week, while Washington — both the team and the city — will be obsessively focused on the condition of its quarterback’s knee.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Boko Haram has killed 97 people at mosques in northeastern Nigeria, a government official told AP.
- Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat with a military background, is running for president.
- Tidal is now the only place you can stream Prince's music. He's pulled his work from other services, like Spotify.