1. During the fourth inning of Monday night’s Pirates-Cardinals game, a routine batter went up for a routine at-bat, not knowing — how could he? — what the ball had in its future.
2. As the ball rockets into the right-field stands, we see a Cardinals outfielder hustling, and a man — a man with a baseball glove the size of a Kodiak bear — waiting in the stands. Sure enough, that intrepid fan grabs it.
3. Seriously, look at that thing: it’s bigger than most propeller aircraft. I’m surprised the weight of it doesn’t knock him over.
4. Let’s see that again. That glove should be used to catch fugitives.
5. Imagine being this outfielder. “Hey, I have a chance at this! Hey, I — darn. I guess my glove wasn’t big enough.”
H/T to Tom Ley at Deadspin
In The News Today
- In a landmark prison reform decision, California has agreed to a settlement that will effectively end indefinite solitary confinement in the state. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- Missouri executed Roderick Nunley Tuesday night for a 1989 rape and murder. It was the state's sixth execution this year, and the nation's 20th. ›