Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti recently resigned after the world found out he’d retained coach Mike Rice after being were presented video evidence of Rice physically and verbally abusing his players. Turns out, though, that Pernetti didn’t leave Rutgers without a nice little package to see him off.
3. Read that again. $1.2 million severance: OK, fine, contracts, all right. Health insurance and a car allowance? Business is business. But… an iPad? What?
4. (Artist’s rendering of Pernetti, right, with his new iPad, that he got in exchange for letting coach Rice, left, throw basketballs at teenagers’ groins.)
Rich Schultz, File / AP
5. So, what have we learned? If you allow this:
9. and this to happen under your watch:
10. Then you will win a free iPad.
In The News Today
- One person died and three more were injured during a shooting on a university campus in Arizona early this morning. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS, U.S. Defense Department officials announced. ›
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›