1. Roddick took the first set in a tiebreaker and lost the second set in a tiebreaker. Del Potro steamrolled the last two, 6-2, 6-4.
2. Roddick is the last American to win a Grand Slam event — he won the U.S. Open in 2003.
3. He’s also reached four other Grand Slam finals: Wimbledon in 2004, 2005, and 2009, and the U.S. Open in 2006. Roger Federer beat him each time.
4. Roddick’s also the most recent tennis #1 not named Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, or Novak Djokovic; he held the honor from 11/3/03 to 2/1/04.
5. Here, he exchanges words with del Potro, who will advance to face Djokovic in the quarterfinals.
6. In the stands, Roddick’s wife, model Brooklyn Decker, looked on.
7. She was sad.
8. Happy trails, Andy Roddick.
- Rallies for climate change action are taking place around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris. ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›