1. “American Idol” and “Survivor” both debuted.
2. LeBron James won the Division III Ohio state title as a sophomore at St. Vincent — St. Mary High School in Akron.
3. George W. Bush was elected President twice.
5. The Knicks have had eight coaches and only one All-NBA player.
6. Every episode of “The Wire” aired. One million first dates ended poorly when the dude would only talk about “The Wire.”
9. Kobe Bryant scored 29,915 points.
10. Tom Cruise broke up with Nicole Kidman and Penelope Cruz and then married Katie Holmes.
12. The first iPod was released.
14. Four “Harry Potter” books and all eight movies were released.
15. Facebook picked up 900 million users. Mark Zuckerberg graduated from high school.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›