1. Julie Andrews agreed to make “Mary Poppins” after she was turned down for the role of Eliza Doolittle in the film version of My Fair Lady.
This was a slap in the face, considering she originally played Doolittle on Broadway and on London’s West End. The role went to Audrey Hepburn, instead.
2. Then she won an Oscar for playing Mary Poppins. This was her incredibly sweet speech:
3. “I know you Americans are famous for your hospitality, but this is really ridiculous.”
4. “I have so many thank yous I only know where to start, and that’s with Mr. Walt Disney.”
5. “And naturally he has the largest thank you of all, I wouldn’t know where to stop.”
6. “I would somehow like to try and convey my really deep gratitude and, well, gratefulness…for being made to feel so really welcome in this country.”
7. “Thank you very much, indeed.”
8. Watch the full acceptance speech here.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️