1. The UConn women’s basketball is a complete powerhouse of a team.
2. Every year, their roster of players keeps getting better and better.
Current players, from left to right: Moriah Jefferson, Breanna Stewart, Stefanie Dolson, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, and Bria Hartley.
3. The program has produced players like Maya Moore.
4. And Diana Taurasi.
5. And Tina Charles.
6. And Sue Bird.
7. Jennifer Rizzotti, anyone?
8. Then there’s this guy.
Seriously. This guy.
With 28 seasons of coaching the Huskies under his belt, Geno Auriemma knows a thing or two.
9. They get up close and personal with their fans.
10. The UConn Women Huskies have been to the Final Four 14 times.
11. And have a combined 37 Big East regular season and tournament championships.
12. In the 2008–09 season, they went 39-0 and won their 6th national title.
13. In 2009–10 they went 39-0 again, and won their 7th national championship.
14. This earned the Huskies the longest winning streak in NCAA college basketball history.
They went 90-0, besting all other men’s and women’s teams ever.
15. In total, UConn has 8 NCAA Division I national championships.
16. Not to mention, their 2004 National Championship was a three-peat.
This was also the year that UConn made history as the first school to win a men’s and women’s basketball national championship in the same year.
17. In 2010, Sports Illustrated called them the number 3 sports franchise of the decade.
They were given this ranking out of all the NFL, MLB, NBA NHL, college football, and college basketball (men’s and women’s) teams.
18. The White House has their backs.
19. And the president seems to be a fan.
20. They even beat Kevin Hart and his friends in a pickup game when he visited their campus in 2012.
21. They have no tolerance for discrimination and hate.
Earlier this season, the team aligned themselves with the NOH8 campaign to support LGBT student athletes.
22. And they really know how to have fun and bond with each other.
If you haven’t seen their “Call Me Maybe” rendition, you really need to.
23. On Monday, March 10, they beat Louisville to win their first AAC tournament championship.
24. They’re incredibly loyal and always encouraging teammates.
25. Determined doesn’t even begin to describe them.
26. They have a real passion for the game.
27. And are freakin’ unstoppable.
Oops! An earlier version of this post referred to the AAC as the ACC. H/t Drew Granucci.
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.
- The man accused of fatally shooting a Memphis, Tennessee, police officer on Saturday has turned himself in.