1. 2003: We’re totally into a show about privileged women sent to live and work in uncomfortable circumstances, to hilarious effect.
2. 2013: We’re totally into a show about a privileged woman who is sent to live and work in uncomfortable circumstances, to hilarious effect.
3. 2003: The West Wing represents our biggest hopes for what government could be.
4. 2013: House of Cards, Scandal, and Veep represent our biggest nightmares about how government actually is.
5. 2003: Bryan Cranston is nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor for Malcolm in the Middle …and loses.
To Brad Garrett for Everybody Loves Raymond.
6. 2013: Bryan Cranston is nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor for Breaking Bad …and loses.
To Jeff Daniels for The Newsroom.
7. 2003: We aren’t patient enough to wait for Netflix, so we go rent shows on DVD from Blockbuster.
Blockbuster has 40% of the rental market. It calls online rentals “a niche business.”
8. 2013: We aren’t patient enough to go all the way to Blockbuster, so we binge watch everything on Netflix.
9. 2003: You and over 10 million other people watched in shock as Madonna kissed Christina and Britney during the VMAs.
10. 2013: You and over 10 million other people watched in shock as Miley twerked on Robin Thicke at the VMAs.
11. 2003: You were murderous when Pacey ended up with Joey, because then what was the point of the whole show?
12. 2013: You were murderous when Dexter ended up becoming a lumberjack, because then WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE WHOLE SHOW?
13. 2003: The U.K. version of The Office ends, and you never want to see David Brent again.
14. 2013: The U.S. version of The Office ends, and everyone cries when Michael Scott comes back.
15. 2003: The girls struggling to grow up and figure things out were Lizzie McGuire and her friends.
16. 2013: The girls who are struggling to grow up and figure things out are the girls from Girls.
17. 2003: Famous married couple Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson document their most stupid behavior for national TV.
18. 2013: Famous married couple Teresa and Joe Giudice try to hide stupid behavior from national audience, get caught anyway.
19. 2003: You agonized over whether Ryan and Marissa from The O.C. would get together.
20. 2013: You agonized over whether Nick and Jessica from New Girl would get together.
21. 2003: Buffy spends a lot of time fighting vampires.
23. 2003: Arrested Development premieres on Fox. It surprises everyone with how brilliant it is, but it struggles to maintain America’s attention.
24. 2013: Arrested Development premieres on Netflix. It surprises everyone with how mediocre it is, and no one can stop talking about it.
- Sierra Leone is investigating a new Ebola death after a woman who was believed to be the country's last known case was discharged from the hospital last week. ›
- Lawyers for the NFL and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady failed to reach a settlement in the deflategate case. A decision is expected by Friday. ›
- Thai police have issued two new arrest warrants as the search widens for the suspects behind Bangkok's deadly shrine bombing. ›