1. 2003: We’re totally into a show about privileged women sent to live and work in uncomfortable circumstances, to hilarious effect.
2. 2013: We’re totally into a show about a privileged woman who is sent to live and work in uncomfortable circumstances, to hilarious effect.
3. 2003: The West Wing represents our biggest hopes for what government could be.
4. 2013: House of Cards, Scandal, and Veep represent our biggest nightmares about how government actually is.
5. 2003: Bryan Cranston is nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor for Malcolm in the Middle …and loses.
To Brad Garrett for Everybody Loves Raymond.
6. 2013: Bryan Cranston is nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor for Breaking Bad …and loses.
To Jeff Daniels for The Newsroom.
7. 2003: We aren’t patient enough to wait for Netflix, so we go rent shows on DVD from Blockbuster.
Blockbuster has 40% of the rental market. It calls online rentals “a niche business.”