1. Planning Expectation: When you’re ready to introduce your SO to your parents, it will happen easily.
3. Expectation: You’ll wear nice clothes, so your SO’s parents will think you are a mature and sophisticated citizen.
4. Reality: They saw what car you pulled up in, you aren’t fooling anybody.
5. Greeting Expectation: You’ll shake both parents’ hands, so as to strategically communicate your adultness.
6. Reality: When you try to shake their hands, they will go in for a big, awkward hug.
7. Fancy Dinner Expectation: You’ll have a nice fancy dinner together, as adults.
8. Reality: You’ll spill things on yourself, and then do something awkward like ask permission to order wine.
Is there a kids table I can banish myself to?
9. Expectation: You’ll accidentally say something stupid in front of them.
10. Reality: You’ll think something stupid in front of them, and then tell the internet about it later.
11. Conversation Expectation: You won’t talk about politics or religion, because it’s impolite and doesn’t matter.
12. Reality: Your SO’s parents will absolutely bring up politics and religion.
Because if you’re dating their kid, both those things matter a lot.
13. Drinking Expectation: You’ll all have some drinks together, and it will be a beautiful bonding experience.
14. Reality: You will all have some drinks together, and you will try a little too hard to be funny.
15. Expectation: You dad will interrogate your SO about their “intentions.”
16. Reality: Your dad would rather light himself on fire than talk about anything involving you and sex.
He will instead spend an hour showing your SO his weird model train/coin/sports memorabilia collection while he works up the courage to remind your SO to “be safe.”