If celebrities were the Chinese zodiac, 2013 was the year of J-Law. But now that it’s 2014, there’s room for America’s next sweetheart. Behold your new obsession, Shai-Wood.
1. They both got their start on a basic cable TV show.
Jennifer played Bill Engvall’s sassy teenage daughter, Lauren, on the TBS comedy The Bill Engvall Show from 2007 to 2009.
Shailene portrayed pregnant teen Amy on the hit ABC Family show Secret Life of the American Teenager from 2008 to 2013.
2. They’ve both been slated to star in multiple hit movies in one year.
Shailene Woodley’s just getting her start, but 2014 is about to be a big year for the young star. She’s leading two hit book-to-movie films, The Fault in Our Stars and Divergent, the latter of which you mayyyyy have heard of. Just maybe.
The Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook launched J-Law to superstardom in 2012, the latter earning her her very first Oscar. And she did it again in 2013 with American Hustle and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and will do it a third time in 2014 with X-Men: Days of Future Past and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1. Does she sleep?
3. Tris Prior will fill the void left by Katniss Everdeen.
Dystopian teen heroine who single-handedly saves her people over the course of three page-turning books? Yeah. Sounds familiar.
4. They’ve both got indie-movie cred.
5. They’ve both got Oscar-movie cred.
Jennifer Lawrence has already hit a trifecta with Winter’s Bone, Silver Linings Playbook, and American Hustle, and we’re sure Shailene will add a few Oscar-nominated movies to follow in the footsteps of the 2011 Alexander Payne film The Descendants, which won Best Adapted Screenplay (adapted by Payne, Nat Faxon, and Jim Rash, aka Dean Pelton on Community!).
7. Shailene is as adorable and wacky in interviews as Jennifer.
It’s only a matter of time before Shailene gets her own post juuuust like this.
8. They’re both maybe, sorta dating their co-stars.
Jennifer is sooooo back on with her X-Men co-star, Nicholas Hoult (YAY!), and Shailene has been rumored to be dating not one, but TWO of her former co-stars. First, there were rumors flying that Shailene and her Spectacular Now bud (and your new crush) Miles Teller were getting quite cozy at the 2013 VMAs. Most recently, though, Us Weekly reported signs of Shailene making out with her White Bird on-screen boyfriend Shiloh Fernandez while promoting the film at Sundance.
9. They’re TOTALLY GIFABLE.
J-Law is the QUEEN of GIFs. Give it time. Shailene will become the princess before we know it.
- The U.S., Japan, and 10 other Pacific Rim nations have agreed to a historic trade deal encompassing 40% of the world's economy. ›
- California has become the fifth U.S. state to legalize physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients. ›
- CC Sabathia, a pitcher for the playoff-bound New York Yankees, says he's checking himself into an alcohol rehab center. ›