1. Find a nice, crusty, chewy bread. One without too many holes.
I mean, it’s up to you. Any bread pretty much works. But if you’re really striving for perfection here…
2. As for cheese, keep it simple. American cheese all the way.
Save the fancy cheeses for networking events. We’re trying to eat grilled cheese here.
3. You’ll want to get softened butter.
There’s just something about that buttery flavor that brings you back to your childhood when you took grilled cheese for granted. Never forget.
4. Figure out how you want to personalize your grilled cheese sandwich.
Turn this tasty affair into a party! Toss your favorite flavors into the mix for even more awesomeness.
5. Definitely plan on cooking this masterpiece in a cast-iron skillet or griddle.
No grilled cheese can reach perfection without being cooked in these timeless pieces of equipment. It’s what separates great from good.
6. When it comes time to cook, go ahead and take that butter you chose and spread it on the outsides of your bread.
Your taste buds will thank you.
7. Now, place that bread on the skillet and add your cheese along with your favorite fixin’s!
Once your crust attains that perfect golden-brown color and your cheese is oozing oh-so-deliciously down the sides, you know you’ve done a good job.
8. Since you’re practically ravenous at this point, speed up the process by covering the pan for a minute or two.
This traps the heat to sure you melt your cheese without potentially over-crispifying your bread!
9. When it’s all done, you MUST slice it in half. For consumption purposes.
The only way to eat grilled cheese is by eating from the center. You’ll know why when you do it.
10. Pair that perfect grilled cheese with tomato soup for added perfection.
The acidity of the tomato soup will balance out the buttery deliciousness of your sandwich. This way the guilt doesn’t set in until well after you’re done eating!