1. It’s rumored her hatred for poets and love of abacuses started young.
2. And then those abacuses turned her into the world’s first computer programmer.
3. After she met Charles Babbage.
The English mathematician and writer created the first algorithm for Charles Babbage’s early mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine.
4. Also her floral headresses brought all the academics to the yard.
In early 1833 Ada had an affair with a tutor, which was the first the the many sexually liberated scandals that followed her through the years.
5. And she was fond of the gaming tables.
She even formed a gambling syndicate with some friends to try and perfect a successful mathematical model for large bets.
- Chicago officials have released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. The officer was charged with murder Tuesday. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›