How To Tequila

Demystifying the agave based spirit, because tequila is more than the catalyst for bad decision making.

1. Like all good intoxicants, people have been drinking it for, like, ever!

 

Aztecs enjoyed taking shots as much as the rest of us!

Tequila, or its fermented agave great-great-great grandfather “octli” or “pulque,” at least, was drank during the Aztecs’ reign. Since then, tequila’s undergone a number of developments in the manner of production, the style and taste, and popularity. First, let it be known, tequila is NOT mezcal. Only blue agave can be used for tequila (whereas other agaves are used for mezcales). But other than that, there are a couple ways to categorize tequila.

3. The fundamental varieties of tequila are the 100% pure blue agave tequilas, and the mixtos.

 

The amount of blue agave is the difference maker.

100% of the sugars used to make pure agave tequila is from the blue agave (agave tequilana). Mixtos still contain at least 51%, but the other 49% can be obtained from other sources, like, sugarcane or unicorn horns.

5. Now, there are a couple more specification to be made…


Traditionally, there are four categories of tequila (outside of the basic two): Blanco, joven, reposado, and añejo. A fifth category, “Extra Añejo,” was added in 2006.

6. 1. Blanco or Plata

  / Via  

Well, respectively, “blanco” and “plata” translate to “white” and “silver,” but in tequila terms, they mean the same thing. In English, using “silver” is more common. Silver tequilas are either bottled directly after distillation or aged for fewer than two months in steel or neutral barrels. Taste-wise, these are unencumbered by things like maturity and oaky barrels.These are great for mixers as a lot of them are more neutral in taste, other than the y’know, blue agave characteristics.

8. You can do THIS with it!

 

Tequila thyme lemonade. It’s refreshingly lemony and surprisingly verdant. Just a hand-full of ingredients to take silver tequila out of the margaritasphere.

9. 2. Reposado

 

Meaning “rested,” reposados are aged for at least two months, but fewer than a year. They’re usually a light straw color. They have the sweet floral notes like the silver, but have a bit more complexity from the aging. The barrels used for the aging are usually oak, and some have previously been used to age other spirits, like whiskey.

11. These are great for…

 

With the familiar combination of the tequila and limes, along with the unexpected addition of dried delicate flowers, the Lavender Tequila Cooler sounds like liquid refreshment over ice.

12. 3. Joven or Oro

 

These are the standard tequilas. They have a solid tequila taste, but not quite the sipping variety, yet. Gold tequilas are usually mixtos. Moreover, these golden nectars are generally a mix of silver tequilas and reposados. With a pronounced enough flavor to not be lost but not as to be overwhelming in a concoction, these are good for just about anything. This is the classic used for margaritas.

14. OR….

 

The Roasted Grapefruit and Habanero Margarita is a full-flavored cocktail that combines spicy peppers with bitter citrus, acidic limes and sweet grenadine. The balanced gold tequila works well within the harmony made by the other ingredients.

15. 4. Añejo

 

Age tequila in an oak barrel for a at least a year and it becomes añejo, which just means…well, “aged” —do it for more than three and it gets the “extra” added to it. These are the tequilas for strong flavored drinks or sipping. Things can get expensive here, but it can definitely be worth it. Sweet, complex, and flavorful, these aren’t necessarily the best for benders.

17. This tequila is the best tequila for….

 

Give or take the lime. Of course añejo would be great in anything that could handle its rich flavor, but the the longer it’s aged, and the closer it approaches the extra añejo stage, the better it would be to just add it to a glass with little bit of ice.

18. That being said, all tequila is good for…

 

drink responsibly

Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!

This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!

Facebook Conversations
          
    Hot Buzz

    What’s The Worst Thing That Ever Happened To You At The Beach?

    collection

    Which Emoji Do You Use The Most?

    collection
    Now Buzzing