1. 1) Start Your Day With A Bloody Caesar
If you’re not feeling very festive— or not particularly Canadian (the cocktail’s country of origin), then call it a Bloody Mary with clam juice. But then you’d be a party pooper. Et tu, Anon? Et tu?
2. 2) You Obviously Have To Eat A Caesar Salad. PIZZA!
When you’re hungry AND want to commemorate the assassination of a Roman general, the first choice is Caesar Salad. But who wants the same ol’ lettuce covered in anchovies? —Especially when you have a recipe for a pizza right here.
okay, it’s like a pizza topped with salad. BUT IT’S FESTIVE
3. 3) Take A Trip To Japan for Hōnen Matsuri 豊年祭
March 15th isn’t just for killing Caesar. The city of Komaki holds the largest Honen Matsuri fertility festival.
4. 4) Be Sure To Grab A Couple Of These
Phallic food is traditional of Honen Matsuri. Nothing says “mmm, fertility” better than a chocolate covered banana.
5. 5) Have A Hot Dog With Takeru Kobayashi
It’s his birthday!
6. 6) Go Appreciate Muslim Culture
March 15th is also World Day of Muslim Culture, Peace, Dialogue and Film— as deemed so by Javed Mohammed in 2010.
7. 7) Go Shopping
It’s World Consumer Rights Day. Thanks, Kennedy.
8. 8) Watch Twilight
Or just google gifs of Kellan Lutz. It’s his birthday, too. We thank his parents for creating him. We thank them so, so much.
9. 9) Experience Bacchanalia
So, get drunk and do things that would normally be shameful— but not on the 15th of March! The Ides of March is also the day for an ancient Roman festival for the god Bacchus.
10. 10) Watch E.T.
The movie or Katy Perry’s music video. It’s World Contact Day. The International Flying Saucer Bureau first declared World Contact Day in 1953.
11. 11) Fight Police Brutality
In the US, October 22nd is generally the day to protest being brutalized by the police, but March 15 is International Day Against Police Brutality, as recognized by Switzerland and Canada, at least.
12. 12) Look Back On Hungarian History
The Hungarian Revolution of 1848 occurred on the Ides of March.
13. 13) Appreciate Maine
Maine entered the Union March 15, 1820— as the 23rd state.
14. 14) Visit A Soothsayer
It may be a little late if you hope to avoid being shanked by somebody, but it’s festive nevertheless.
15. 15) Watch A Weird Adaptation of “Julius Caesar”
Half the reason anyone knows what the Ides of March is, is because of Shakespeare. Let’s give him some credit.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›