1. This is “Mitokon,” a comic about a little girl who shape-shifts into a gross dragon when she’s angry.
Princess Mitochondria has been trapped by her doting grandfather in her castle. She wants to escape her castle and roam the earth, fighting aliens and becoming a Robin Hood-like gentleman robber. Sounds like a normal enough premise, right? What could go wrong with such cute character designs?
2. It syndicated in Japan’s “JUMP Square” magazine until his editors abruptly cancelled it in 2011.
Given the space of four pages to wrap up the entire story, writer Man Gataro chose to end it this way:
3. “So long, gramps. I’m going on my own adventure!”
4. “WATCH OUT! THE STAIRS ARE SLIPPERY!”
5. Oh darn.
6. The end.
7. To be fair, Man Gataro is a famous troll in the manga world, and has always reveled in a grotesque “Garbage Pail Kids” sort of aesthetic.
“Battlefield Baseball” is his newest series, about armed supernatural militias of baseball warriors duking it out in nine innings. See the insane trailer for the movie adaptation for yourself:
- Greece's bailout vote on Sunday could be very close, according to an opinion poll. Both sides are holding rallies today.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France following protests last week.
- After two previous missions failed, Russia's Progress rocket took off to resupply the International Space Station ?
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.