Before writing and starring in The Office and The Mindy Project, Mindy Kaling drew a campus comic strip for The Dartmouth called “Badly Drawn Girl.” Most of them poked fun of campus institutions and Webster Ave frat culture, which still have their share of problems today. Kaling’s 1999 Hanover doesn’t seem that different from the mid-2000s version I knew. And though crudely drawn, the comic was not without its fans.
The strip ran daily between 1999 and 2001.
1. First day of classes:
2. Spot the Kappa president:
3. Meet the faculty advisors:
4. Choose your dining hall: Collis, Home Plate, or The Hop?
5. Choose an a cappella group:
6. Getting facetime as a Webster Ave debutante:
*Lodge & Hanover Crew: upperclassmen who welcome freshmen to campus for orientation hiking trips (everyone crushes on them).
7. Meeting bros who break stereotypes.
8. And getting checked out at Dick’s House.
*Dick’s House: campus student health center.
- At least 86 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- Elections on Sunday are widely expected to hand Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko a fifth term since 1994. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›