1. At a Portland Church:
4. A van near Durham, UK:
It became something of a tourist attraction.
6. When a civil rights marcher returned to Alabama:
Current Montgomery police chief Kevin Murphy apologized last month on behalf of Alabama police for allowing the Freedom Riders to be beaten by white mobs in 1961. He also gave Rep. John Lewis his police badge.
“I’ve been arrested and jailed many times, especially during the ’60s—about 40 times,” Rep. John Lewis said. “And never has a police officer offered to apologize.”
The 12-time congressman also relayed a story of a man bringing his son to his office and asking for forgiveness for beating him. “I said, ‘I accept your apology.’ He started crying. He gave me a hug. I hugged him back, and we both started crying.”
7. A neighbor apologizing for someone else’s prank:
8. After a kid was busted for cutting the boarding line at the airport, he went on the intercom:
9. A former “Men’s Rights” redditor, apologizing to a feminist subreddit:
“I made a lot of snap judgments. I said some very mean spirited stuff towards some of you here, stuff I reread now and I feel a great deal of shame for.” Read the entire message here.
10. After terrorists killed U.S. Ambassadors in Libya:
13. Sainsbury’s Twitter account, in response to customer complaint:
17. A junior ranger apologizes for pilfering sticks at Yosemite National Park:
He’s been tweeting abusive missives at the him for 8 months. Finally, the boxer was fed up. He found the troll’s address.
Realizing the boxer was on his way to his house, the troll immediately apologized. They reconciled on television. “It takes a big man sometimes to say sorry and I’ve done plenty of daft things in my time, so your apology is accepted,” Woodhouse said.
21. People around the world, accepting Americans’ apology for electing Bush:
Wow, this was a long time ago.
23. This Canadian thief who returned a stolen XBox, and paid for repairs for a ripped screen door:
We are all waiting for someone to apologize to us. And someone out there is still waiting for us to apologize.
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald have won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Grace Lee Boggs, Detroit activist and civil rights pioneer, has died at the age of 100, according to the Boggs Center. ›