1. Meet the bigfin squid, an elusive and frankly quite terrifying cephalopod. This one was spotted in the Gulf of Mexico under 7,800 feet of water.
The photo is made up of stills taken from this video, filmed in 2007 by oil company Shell, near their Perdido drilling platform.
2. According to Deep Sea News, little is known about these squid because few have ever been captured.
The first was seen in 1988 and only a handful have been seen since, mostly by cameras on remotely operated vehicles.
3. Watch the full video to get a better sense of this impressive creature.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️