1. Meet the bigfin squid, an elusive and frankly quite terrifying cephalopod. This one was spotted in the Gulf of Mexico under 7,800 feet of water.
The photo is made up of stills taken from this video, filmed in 2007 by oil company Shell, near their Perdido drilling platform.
2. According to Deep Sea News, little is known about these squid because few have ever been captured.
The first was seen in 1988 and only a handful have been seen since, mostly by cameras on remotely operated vehicles.
3. Watch the full video to get a better sense of this impressive creature.
- Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained sedatives to give to women he wanted to have sex with, the AP reports.
- The South Carolina legislature took a key step toward removing the Confederate flag from statehouse grounds.
- More than 1 million people are expected to attend Pope Francis' mass in Ecuador.