1. Meet the bigfin squid, an elusive and frankly quite terrifying cephalopod. This one was spotted in the Gulf of Mexico under 7,800 feet of water.
The photo is made up of stills taken from this video, filmed in 2007 by oil company Shell, near their Perdido drilling platform.
2. According to Deep Sea News, little is known about these squid because few have ever been captured.
The first was seen in 1988 and only a handful have been seen since, mostly by cameras on remotely operated vehicles.
3. Watch the full video to get a better sense of this impressive creature.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›