1. This is a dune field on Mars in a large crater near the valley Mawrth Vallis.
This image was acquired by the HiRISE camera aboard NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on December 30 last year.
2. It looks even stranger zoomed out.
Nasa says: “For dune fields, the spacing of individual dunes is a function of sand supply, wind speed, and topography.”
3. Remind you of anything?
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter has crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?