1. An orgasm might be able to clear your sinuses.
2. Men used to have penis spines.
Chimpanzees, macaques, mice, and cats (pictured) still have them. But thankfully, somewhere along our evolution humans lost the part of our DNA that would have given men spiky, erm, enhancements.
3. Sex can temporarily wipe your memory.
In 2011 there was a widely reported case of a woman who suffered memory loss immediately after orgasm. “Both the patient and her husband stated that after climax she was unable to recall events of the preceding 24 hours,” reported the Journal of Emergency Medicine. “In addition, she had difficulty incorporating new memories.”
There are other known cases, too.
4. Apple consumption has been linked to better quality of sex life.
A study of 731 women split them into two groups: those who ate at least one apple per day, and those who didn’t. The women who were apple eaters scored significantly higher on the female sexual-function index than non-apple-eaters.
5. The average clitoris is the size of a medium zucchini.
The bit you can see is basically just the tip of the iceberg.
6. There are around 8,000 nerve endings in the clitoris.
7. Short men say they get more sex.
Whether they actually do or not is unknown because the study relied on self-reporting.
8. Penis size and shoe size are not correlated.
This study showed that no, you can’t predict penis size by looking at a guy’s shoes.
9. Wearing a condom makes no difference how long you last.
This study recruited 500 couples from five countries and measured the “intravaginal ejaculation latency time”, i.e. how long it took the male partner to come. The median was just over five minutes (with a range between 30 seconds and 44 minutes), and condom use did not change this.
(You will need to put the condom on your penis and not a random banana, mind.)
10. One type of medication for OCD can cause people to orgasm when they yawn.
Clomipramine also has some not-very-nice side effects, but one woman reportedly wanted to stay on it just for the orgasms.
11. You’re more likely to orgasm with warm feet.
A Dutch study found people had an 80% chance of reaching orgasm in an MRI scanner when they were wearing socks, compared with a 50% chance when they weren’t.
The BBC explains: “One half of the couple was asked to lie down, with their head inside a scanner, while their partner stimulated them manually to achieve orgasm. To aid the mood, the room lighting was dimmed and all noise distractions shut out.”
12. Women have wet dreams too.
According to a 1953 study by Alfred Kinsey, 37% of women orgasm in their sleep by the time they reach 45 years old.
13. Natural vaginal lubricant contains a substance called squalene, which is also found in shark livers.
14. Agalmatophilia is sexual attraction to statues or mannequins.
15. Having regular sex can make you feel as happy as if you earned an extra $100,000 a year.
According to the US National Bureau of Economic Research.
16. By their late teenage years, three-quarters of people have had sex.
According to the Kinsey Institute. And more than two-thirds of all sexually experienced teens have had two or more partners.
17. People aged 18 to 29 have sex an average of 112 times per year.
The same study found that 30- to 39-year-olds had sex an average of 86 times per year, and 40- to 49-year-olds an average of 69 times per year.
18. Men who cheat on their wives are more likely to die of cardiac arrest during sex.
People dying suddenly during sex does not happen very often. But when it does, it mostly happens to men who are having sex outside of marriage, “in most cases with a younger partner in an unfamiliar setting and/or after excessive food and alcohol consumption”, according to this statement by the American Heart Association.