Artist Gary Hovey welded his first flatware animal sculpture back in 2004.
This gorilla is made of over 1,500 stems of flatware.
1. Gary says that his sculptures are about things that he enjoys, “wildlife, welding, and humor.”
2. He feels that “different patterns in flatware add texture and interest” to his pieces.
Gary never uses molds, so no two sculptures are alike. Prices range from $50 to $5,000.
3. He can only use only stainless steel flatware because of the welding process.
Silver melts at a much lower temperature than stainless steel, so it gets destroyed by the high heat.
4. Gary’s dad sends him most of the spoons, knives, and forks from Oklahoma.
5. He scours flea markets and garage sales, and ships the cutlery to Gary.
Gary jokes on his website, “Our gratitude and sympathy to the USPS, especially our local mail delivery.”