1. Katie Hixson, her husband Richard, and their daughter Izzy live in Athens, Ohio, a small college town.
2. Two weeks ago, Kate gave birth to a baby boy, Roman.
3. The following week, Katie had a persistent migraine and sought the advice of a doctor.
Katie with baby Izzy in 2011.
4. On January 27th, the doctor found a tumor on her brain roughly the size of a lime. On January 30th, Katie was admitted for surgery to have the tumor removed.
5. The doctors successfully removed the tumor, but found that cancerous cells had been reproducing inside it. Katie is beginning low-level chemotherapy in a few weeks, including 6 weeks of radiation.
6. Katie’s best friend, Chelsea, has kept the community updated on Katie’s health via Facebook.
7. Because most of Katie’s hair had to be shaved off for the surgery, Chelsea decided to shave off part of her hair to show Katie she wasn’t alone.
8. Zach Traxler, who also grew up in Athens with Katie and now owns Traxler Custom Printing, offered to donate t-shirts to anyone who shaves part or all their head for Katie by February 8th.
9. So far, 13 people have stepped up and posted pictures for Katie, including her husband.
10. Katie is home resting with her family, and incredibly grateful for the continued support.
- The U.S. airstrike on a Doctors Without Borders hospital that killed at least 30 people last month happened as a "direct result of avoidable human error," the Pentagon said. ›
- Five people were arrested as protesters gathered in Chicago after the release of a video of the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. ›
- Pope Francis arrived in Kenya. It's his first visit to Africa as pontiff. ›