They tease out the worst stereotypes - the lonely loser Redditor, the annoying guy explaining stuff on RapGenius, the Tumblr user arguing about priviledge and “otherkin rights”. Seeing these snippets of real text from sites pop up in your Twitter feed without any context is a pure delight.
Here’s a quiz that uses top tweets from a few of these. Can you figure out which site each sentence came from?
1. "TIL living in Nazi Germany as a Jew was easier than living in modern day USA as an atheist."Jeez, Reddit!
Redditors are obsessed with atheism and prone to insanely overdramatic comparisons to Hitler.
2. "In Predator 2, the main Predator was designed to look more urban and [[hip]] than its predecessor."Predator Wiki
I never noticed Predator looked different.
3. "If you drink somebody's pee, you're expected to know that person, to know his or her health problems, if any. You know, it's just like sex."Ugh, furries.
Furries are so gross.
4. "As soon as he gets home, he has hot bitches inside already. They're super fly and they have a hot body and face"It’s RapGenius, genius
Who doesn’t love rapgenius.com’s dry and didactic explanation of lyrics?
5. "If you consume dairy or eggs, you are NOT a feminist. The dairy and egg industries are the biggest form of female oppression there is."Oh, Tumblr
The world of “social justice” on Tumblr is vast in its breadth and eye-rollingness.
6. "My wing-man who I trusted and looked up to, turns out to be a closet homosexual."Urgh, PUAs
Groan. These messageboards are full of guys sharing tips for how to “neg” girls and what opening pickup lines to say.
7. "I don't think any human woman could ever live up to the standards a fictional pony has set."Redddddddddddit
“Pony” is the big tipoff here, since Redditors LOVE My Little Pony.
8. "I need more sloths in my life."Obviously
Who DOESN’T need more sloths? Very reasonable statement, BuzzFeed commentors are geniuses.
9. "It has been months since I was married to Ludacris and a whole year since we turned into lions."Ultimate WTFery
This is from a story called “Absurd Love” on Fanfiction.net. Yes, it’s as good as you’d expect.
10. "Yolo Plus, A clothing line for everyone."A bad idea on Kickstarter?