1. Meet Yohio. He’s not from a 90’s Harajuku gothic loli club. He’s a pop star from Sweden.
2. Though Yohio is Swedish, he lives in Japan:
3. Yohio and his band competed in Sweden’s Melodifestivalen, which is kind of like American Idol
They had some sick pyrotechnics.
4. The winner of Melodifestivalen goes on to represent Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest
The Eurovision Song Contest like a cross between American Idol and the World Cup, and it’s totally insane.
5. His backup band’s Flock of Seagulls hair and ’80s outfits were impeccable
So perfect, yet it wasn’t enough.
6. But he lost to this guy:
Ugh, Robin Stjernberg, you’re like the milquetoast David Cook of Melodifestivalen.
7. If you think his glam style courts androgyny, you’re definitely right.
9. Loud fashion sense aside, he’s a serious guitar-nerd.
As is the Visual Kei pop star tradition. Here is him shredding at age 15.
11. He taught Yohio how to play the guitar, and he’s totally cool with what Yohio does.
Also, Yohio’s grandfather Jan-Eric Rehn was the guitarist in the popband Panthers. Tommy Rehn is also Yohio’s manager. You can see him acting as his son’s spokesperson on Japanese TV.
12. His dad even showed up to Yohio’s Melodofestivalen after-party in glam drag.
13. His big hit is “Heartbreak Hotel”:
This is the jam he performed on Melodifestivalen.
14. His hair is flawless:
16. Okay, let’s be real: he’s a Final Fantasy character.
Yohio casts Firaga. Yall are dead. Literally dead IRL.