1. In 1847, Oliver Chase invented a machine to cut candy wafers, and the abomination called the “hub wafer” was born
People in 1847 thought this candy was DELICIOUS. They couldn’t get enough of the chalky nastiness.
2. NECCO stands for New England Confectionary Company. It’s the oldest candy company in the U.S.
Although the wafer was invented in 1847, the company wasn’t called NECCO until 1901 when the wafer maker merged with 2 other candy companies.
3. The original 8 flavors are lemon, lime, orange, clove, cinnamon, wintergreen, licorice, and chocolate.
More like barf, gag, blech, vom, yuck, barf, and gross.
4. In 2009, they changed the recipe to all-natural flavors and colors
They also made the texture softer and less chalky.
5. Since they couldn’t find a good natural lime color, they eliminated Lime
6. Everyone HATED the change, and sales plummeted. They switched back in 2011.
7. They were made in Chicago for a while in the 1800s, but the factory burned in the great Chicago Fire.
8. Union soldiers carried “hub wafers” during the Civil War.
Horses and bayonettes and NECCO wafers.
9. Admiral Richard Byrd took 2 tons of NECCO wafers on his polar expedition in the ’30s
Since NECCO wafers have an insane shelf life, I guess this is a decent idea. Although the crew probably wished they all would die at sea rather than eat a bunch of NECCO wafers.
10. During WWII, the factory manufactures war materials and NECCO wafers are part of soldiers’ rations
11. The Cambridge, MA factory used to have this awesome painted water tower
The factory was located right near the MIT campus in Cambridge from 1937-2001. The building was bought by a pharmaceutical company who paint over the colored water tower with their stupid logo. Booo!
12. Right now they’re hiring wafer counters
Their site’s Careers section lists an “Inventory analyst” opening. MS Office required.
13. NECCO wafters are gluten-free AND Kosher. Mazel tov!
(The symbol for Kosher-certified foods)
14. They have a chocolate version, which means they’ve figured out how to make chocolate gross.
LEAVE CHOCOLATE ALONE, NECCO!
15. If you mix NECCO wafers and Pepsi, it’ll light on fire
I assume because of the glycerine in NECCO wafers or something, but I’m no Bill Nye, ok?
16. NECCO got into the music business, weirdly
They sponsored this soundtrack of a ’60s Disney musical.
20. And Squirrell Nut Zippers. Basically all the gross old people candies.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?