James Honeybone is 20 years old, has plugs in his ears, tattoos, a lip ring, loves heavy metal, and is on the Great Britain Olympic fencing team. As soon as I saw his awful mugshot-style official portrait, my heart skipped a beat and I knew he was my favorite fencer since Kat from Real World: London.
There’s 3 different types of fencing — épée, saber, and foil — with slightly different rules about where on the body you can hit and if hits with the side of the sword or just the tip count. Honeybone’s event is individual sabre fencing (there’s also a team version), where you can hit with the sides of the sword as well as anywhere on the opponent’s upper body, including arms.
Here’s why you should be hoping James Honeybone stabs the other guys as hard and as often as possible with his sabre. Win that gold!
5. He’s got a finger-moustache-tattoo
Usually these tattoos are a pet peeve of mine for being played-out, but it’s so nice to an athlete with some personal flair that I’ll allow it.
9. But now he’s got a cool pompadour
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️