1. Once a baby joey becomes too big for her pouch, a koala bear mom will carry him on her back.
2. Polar bears cubs stay with their mom for at least two years, learning the ropes about hunting and diving.
3. Baby elephants can’t see very well when they’re first born so they identify their mom through “touch, scent and sound.”
4. Emperor penguin moms and dads alternate roles while raising a chick, one will hunt for food while they other stays at the breeding site to keep the baby warm and safe.
5. A Harp seal mom can identify her baby from “hundreds of others based on smell alone.”
6. For the first two years of their life, young orangutans are dependent their mom for food and transportation.
7. Each night before going to sleep gorillas make a cozy bed out of leaves. Gorilla moms share these nests with their nursing babies.
8. A mother cheetah finds a hiding place for their cubs before she goes hunting.
9. Giraffe mothers “often return to where they were born to have their own babies.”
10. Baby rhinoceroses are born with no horn so they depend entirely on their mother for protection.
11. Zebra moms keep their babies in the center of the herd to keep them safe from predators.
12. If joeys are frightened, they’ll jump headfirst into their mother’s pouch!
13. If a Siberian Tiger mom needs to move her babies to a safer place, she gently carries them by the scruff of their neck.
14. A mother meerkat will leave her den to hunt, but she gets another meerkat to babysit her pups while she’s gone.
15. Wolf pups are born blind and deaf so they need constant attention from their mom!
16. A moose calf can stay with his mom for up to a year before it’s time for mom to have another baby.
17. Sea lion pups and their mom communicate through special vocalizations so they can identify one another.
18. A mother hippopotamus gives birth to her baby underwater, then helps him to the surface so he’s able to breathe.
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›