1. This is a demo of the Ultra-Ever Dry coating, designed to repel liquid:
2. Like your smartphone screen, it’s oleophobic — it repels oil.
3. But it’s hydrophobic, too:
This particular coating isn’t appropriate for smartphones — it’s better for heavier hardware than glass. But it’s reasonable to expect that, at some point soon, waterproof and fingerprint-resistant electronics will be commonplace. And it’ll be in part because of super-slick coatings like this. You can watch the whole video here:
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›