1. This is a demo of the Ultra-Ever Dry coating, designed to repel liquid:
2. Like your smartphone screen, it’s oleophobic — it repels oil.
3. But it’s hydrophobic, too:
This particular coating isn’t appropriate for smartphones — it’s better for heavier hardware than glass. But it’s reasonable to expect that, at some point soon, waterproof and fingerprint-resistant electronics will be commonplace. And it’ll be in part because of super-slick coatings like this. You can watch the whole video here:
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan acknowledged that American forces mistakenly struck a hospital in Kunduz, killing 22 people. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›