1. On the ground, the SpaceX Grasshopper looks like any regular old rocket.
2. But it’s not. Grasshopper’s got a secret.
3. (hit play)
5. That’s right.
6. Grasshopper is chill.
7. Chill as hell.
8. Who needs to go higher than 300 feet?
9. Not this guy.
10. Who needs to experience space, the final frontier, the great beyond?
11. Not this guy.
12. Who needs to leave the atmosphere, only to reenter in a dangerous fireball?
13. Eh. Grasshopper is happy where he is.
14. And the best thing about being Grasshopper? When you start to get tired…
15. You can just sit your ass down.
17. All in a good day’s work.
Grasshopper wasn’t created to chill, exactly. SpaceX is using it to test various parts of its reusable rocket technology, some of which will be employed in the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, which will be used to resupply the International Space Station now that NASA’s Shuttle program is over.
If you can believe it, though, Grasshopper used to be more chill. On its first flight, it hovered just six feet above the ground, and for a mere three seconds.
An inspiration for us all.
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- A new study says there are 3 trillion trees on Earth — much more than previously thought. But we're losing them fast 🌳 ›
- The U.S. Army says it's removing restrictions on women attending Ranger School. Two soldiers became the first women to graduate from the school last month. ›