1. On the ground, the SpaceX Grasshopper looks like any regular old rocket.
2. But it’s not. Grasshopper’s got a secret.
3. (hit play)
5. That’s right.
6. Grasshopper is chill.
7. Chill as hell.
8. Who needs to go higher than 300 feet?
9. Not this guy.
10. Who needs to experience space, the final frontier, the great beyond?
11. Not this guy.
12. Who needs to leave the atmosphere, only to reenter in a dangerous fireball?
13. Eh. Grasshopper is happy where he is.
14. And the best thing about being Grasshopper? When you start to get tired…
15. You can just sit your ass down.
17. All in a good day’s work.
Grasshopper wasn’t created to chill, exactly. SpaceX is using it to test various parts of its reusable rocket technology, some of which will be employed in the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, which will be used to resupply the International Space Station now that NASA’s Shuttle program is over.
If you can believe it, though, Grasshopper used to be more chill. On its first flight, it hovered just six feet above the ground, and for a mere three seconds.
An inspiration for us all.
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›