1. On the ground, the SpaceX Grasshopper looks like any regular old rocket.
2. But it’s not. Grasshopper’s got a secret.
3. (hit play)
5. That’s right.
6. Grasshopper is chill.
7. Chill as hell.
8. Who needs to go higher than 300 feet?
9. Not this guy.
10. Who needs to experience space, the final frontier, the great beyond?
11. Not this guy.
12. Who needs to leave the atmosphere, only to reenter in a dangerous fireball?
13. Eh. Grasshopper is happy where he is.
14. And the best thing about being Grasshopper? When you start to get tired…
15. You can just sit your ass down.
17. All in a good day’s work.
Grasshopper wasn’t created to chill, exactly. SpaceX is using it to test various parts of its reusable rocket technology, some of which will be employed in the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, which will be used to resupply the International Space Station now that NASA’s Shuttle program is over.
If you can believe it, though, Grasshopper used to be more chill. On its first flight, it hovered just six feet above the ground, and for a mere three seconds.
An inspiration for us all.
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates will debate tonight at 9 p.m. ET on CBS for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast on Saturday.