Prisoners held in solitary confinement are confined to small, often windowless, cells for 22 to 24 hours a day. They suffer extreme isolation and sensory deprivation, in conditions that even the United Nations has denounced as torture.
Prison-rights group Tamms Year Ten asked inmates locked in a supermax (super-maximum security) prison outside of Chicago what photos they’d like to have to hang on their walls. They could be of anything — real or imaginary — and they would find artists on the outside to fulfill the request.
Though Illinois prison policy prohibits the prisoners from hanging the photos on their walls, the images offer motivation, escapism, a view to the outside, and just a way to combat loneliness for the inmates. The photographs capture the sensory details they miss. For outsiders, it’s a view into what they are thinking about all day.
Here are some of the requested images:
2. My Auntie’s house on the block at 2 p.m., facing east
“Let the people outside know that the picture is for ‘D-man,’” Darrius, the prisoner, told Tamms Year Ten.
3. A specific stained-glass window
4. The Chicago skyline
5. South King and 63rd on the South Side of Chicago
6. A photograph within a photo of me and wild lions
7. The Michael Jordan statue
8. Lovesick clown
Specific request: “A lovesick clown: holding a old fashioned feathered pen: as if writing a letter: from the waist up: in black and white. As close up as possible: as much detail as possible: & the face about 4 inches big.”
9. My mother, who died last year, with a pile of money, a hummer, and a big castle
10. The Puerto Rican flag
11. The Masonic Temple
12. Downtown Christmas tree
13. The Navy Pier
14. Genesee Street in Downtown Waukegan, Ill.
15. The boat scene from the “Jenny from the Block” video, with Ben Affleck and J. Lo’s butt
16. The members of Tamms Year Ten fighting for the men at Tamms
17. A vigil at Bald Knob Cross held for the inmates
18. Several men asked for photos of themselves, taken from their online Department of Corrections photos, placed on a different background, to send to their families.
20. A boy and girl, in their Sunday best, sitting side by side on a piano bench, with a single rose on the keys
The prisoner asked for the photo as a present for his wife.
21. Several requested images of what the area where Chicago public housing project Robert Taylor Homes used to be, and what it looks like now
22. Where Robert Taylor Homes used to be
23. Where Robert Taylor Homes used to be
24. Where Robert Taylor Homes used to be
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›