1. Not having to answer to anyone because no one could reach you 24/7
Touchstone Pictures / Via giphy.com
3. Having one simple way to reach people
New Line Cinema / Via waitingonmyhappyending.tumblr.com
4. If you didn’t leave a message, you could again later and they would never know it was you.
FOX / Via giphy.com
5. Telling someone to pick up when you knew they were screening
Castle Rock Entertainment / Via youtube.com
6. Crafting the ultimate joke answering machine greeting, especially with your roommates or family
20th Century Fox Television / Via youtube.com
7. That blinking light when you got home. Like a shining beacon of joy
8. That beautiful rewind sound, especially when it goes on and on…so many messages!
daramdam / Via Flickr: 85633456@N02
13. Phone numbers were publicly listed. In a book. Brought to your house.
Justin Sullivan / Getty Images
14. The thrill of seeing your own name in there when you got your first phone
15. Being able to memorize all those phone numbers. So many. I mean, how did we do it?
Lakeshore Entertainment / Via giphy.com
17. Which was basically the equivalent of having one of these
MCA / Via youtube.com
18. Feeling like you were in a movie each time you made an emotional call from a phone booth
A&M/Octone Records / Via tumblr.com
19. Knowing where all the pay phones were…
Amaar Ujeyl / Via Flickr / Getty Images
20. Except when your parents wanted you to call home
Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd / Via giphy.com
21. Having that cool friend who taught you how to hack a pay phone
24. That moment when your sibling finally got off the phone and it was your turn
Hanna-Barbera Productions / Via weheartit.com
25. Spending the whole evening talking on the phone
FOX / Via lovealwaysx.tumblr.com
In The News Today
- Missouri executed Roderick Nunley Tuesday night for a 1989 rape and murder. It was the state's sixth execution this year, and the nation's 20th. ›