1. It was announced Friday that 23-year-old Alexandra Shipp will play Aaliyah in Lifetime’s upcoming biopic Aaliyah: Princess of R&B.
2. The news comes less than a month after Zendaya Coleman walked away from the role that brought criticism from fans and even the departed singer’s family.
Frank Micelotta / Getty Images
3. Executive producer Debra Martin Chase told BuzzFeed that Lifetime is excited to have Shipp as part of the production.
4. “Like Aaliyah, Alex is a triple threat — a wonderful, strong actress; a very talented singer; and a great dancer. She also grew up idolizing Aaliyah and possesses a similar star quality. We are all thrilled to have Alex on board.”
Eamonn McCormack / Getty Images
5. You might recognize Shipp from House of Anubis, Victorius, Switched At Birth, and Awkward.
6. She’s also been known to cover songs on YouTube.
In The News Today
- A flash flood emergency has been issued Sunday in Charleston, South Carolina. More than 16 inches of rain fell in some areas. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- More than a dozen people were killed after severe storms and flooding swept through the French Riviera on Saturday evening. ›