1. Dance like no one is watching.
OK, Danny Tanner and Urkel may be watching, but don’t let that hold you back.
2. Be supportive of questionable choices.
Not that I’m saying those bunnies on the wall are bad choices, because they are not. They kick-ass.
3. Acting silly is a prerequisite for uncles.
Uncle Joey DGAF.
4. “Cool” is a state of mind.
But bedroom eyes and being in a band helps. The Rippers FTW!
5. Although you are never too cool to be vulnerable.
Show them that there is strength in being sensitive. Especially after you almost missed your wedding because you went skydiving.
6. Spazzing out is necessary and a lot of fun.
And a great way to relieve that uncle stress that comes from babysitting.
7. Take time to treat yourself.
Treat. Yo. Self.
8. Always be bold and confident with your fashion choices.
And don’t be afraid to rock the feathered hair look.
9. Hold your head high and they will do the same.
Confidence is a must-have look for an uncle.
10. Keep your promises.
Nobody likes a flake, and kids are smarter than they’re given credit for. Don’t be a dick and try and pull a fast one on them, because they’ll see right through your charade like the light through Uncle Jesse’s mullet.
11. Improvisation is a necessary tool.
Remember: meat rack.
12. Discipline in your own way.
It takes a village, right? Remember they’re not your kid, but letting them know when they are out of line is in accordance with the Uncle Rules of Uncle Maintenance.
13. But remember to have compassion.
Listening is a huge part of being an uncle, so hear them out when they are having a hard time.
14. Teach them that facing responsibility is not only expected, but honorable.
Like when they scratch your Mustang as you take them for a driving lesson.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Mullah Omar, the Taliban's reclusive leader, died more than two years ago, Afghan officials say. The Taliban hasn't commented.
- Debris found on an island in the Indian Ocean belongs to the same type of aircraft as the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.